Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My greatest inspirations to draw and illustrate for children-the unique talent of E.H. Shepard

British artist and book illustrator Edward Howard Shepard was always one of my greatest creative inspirations to draw animals early on as a child. Shepard's creative drawing talent also inspired me to illustrate my first children's book "My Fuzzy's World."

E.H. became most famous for illustrating Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne and The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. I remember how very much I loved all the enchanting and adorable Winnie-the-Pooh characters as a little girl.  They remain in my heart forever, just like all of my beloved and treasured Winnie-the-Pooh books by A.A. Milne.

E.H.Shepard is also well respected as the master of line and the black and white illustration. What most inspired me in his Pooh and friends drawings was their human-like appearance . To me all of the Pooh characters are very lovable and seem almost alive, just like they would step out of the pages to  share their adventures with me. The illustrations showcase all of the characters gentle and vulnerable human like nature. I admired Shepard's creativity to draw so beautifully Milne's charming Pooh characters with great imagination and an exceptional talent.

                            Eeyore and Pooh illustration by E.H. Shepard


I always loved Shepard's original black and white Winnie-the-Pooh characters illustrations. I proudly declared Pooh and Tigger as my most favourite imaginary friends as a little girl.


                                                     Tigger by E.H.Shepard



Every child and child at heart was thrilled in 1973 when Shepard colored his original black and white Pooh illustrations. I felt that they even enhanced the beauty and uniqueness of all characters making them more colorful for my own imaginative world of animal friends.


                                             Pooh eating honey by E.H.Shepard


Encourage children to read Milne's Pooh books and fall in love with E.H.Shepard's wonderful world of Pooh illustrations. Once they discover the uniqueness of both artists they will be grateful and inspired for life.

Visit a great source for  Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends:

 http://www.just-pooh.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment